Students and advisors from across Delaware attended the 53rd annual National SkillsUSA Leadership Conference from June 19-23, 2017 in Louisville, Kentucky. Delaware students represented our state in competitive events that included: Architectural Drafting, Automotive Service Technology, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Carpentry, Computer Programming, Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Diesel Equipment Technology, Electronics Technology, Extemporaneous Speaking, Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Industrial Motor Controls, Information Technology, Masonry, Plumbing, Prepared Speech, Technical Math, Welding, and more.
Highlights of the conference include:
- A delegation of 119 students and advisors from 6 schools represented Delaware.
- Kimani Jackson of Howard High School of Technology was selected to sing the National Anthem at the Opening Ceremony of the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference.
National Contest Medalists:
- GOLD Sheet Metal – Sarah Buehler, Delcastle Technical High School
- SILVER Advertising Design – Kate Bagshaw from Sussex Tech High School
- SILVER Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration – Tyler Lord from St. Georges Technical High School
- BRONZE Broadcast News Production – Chase Albright, Hannah Wolk, Sydney Gross, and Ryan Bradley from Sussex Technical High School
Delaware SkillsUSA is a Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) dedicated to students who are interested in pursuing their future in technical careers. Through SkillsUSA, members have the opportunity to participate in career focused competitive events, take part in community service work, and become leaders for the organization in their school, state, and at the national level. SkillsUSA incorporates curricular and co-curricular experiences to emphasize the importance of knowledge, leadership, skill development, and teamwork. A list of all national finalists can be obtained online from: http://skillsusa.org. To learn more about Delaware SkillsUSA, please visit: http://delawareskillsusa.org/ or contact Mike Fitzgerald by phone at: 302.735.4015 or by email at: Mike.Fitzgerald@doe.k12.de.us.